Oocyte maturation refers to a release of meiotic arrest that allows oocytes to advance from prophase I to metaphase II of meiosis. This is essential for normal ovulation and subsequent fertilization, and involves changes in the delicate balance between factors promoting meiotic arrest and others that are stimulating maturation. – [Reference – NCBI]
- GV = Germinal vesicle (most immature)
- MI = Metaphase I oocyte (immature)
- MII = Metaphase II oocyte (mature)
- Atritic oocyte (degenerating egg, can be due to failure of maturation or post-maturation)
Rescue In Vitro Maturation (Rescue IVM)
Rescue IVM is a procedure, which can be performed on immature eggs of patients undergoing IVF.
Only mature eggs (MII) are typically fertilized during IVF. Most fertility centers discard immature eggs which are collected.
Our approach at Eden is to attempt IVM on all immature eggs in patients who produce relatively few mature eggs. Often these immature eggs will mature in the laboratory within 24 hours of collection if kept in special IVM media.
The eggs that reach maturity can then undergo routine fertilization by ICSI. This approach is beneficial for patients who produce few eggs, by helping them have more embryos and therefore additional pregnancy chance from their IVF cycle.
In Vitro Maturation (IVM)
This unique technology allows women to complete IVF with minimal to no stimulation drugs. Since immature eggs are collected and developed in the laboratory, our IVM approach can enable women to complete the IVF process with less medications, fewer side effects, fewer monitoring visits, and potentially lower costs.
IVM can be helpful for:
- Women who want to take less medications during the IVF process
- Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Women with hormone-sensitive cancers, such as breast cancer
- Women with high risk of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS)
- Women who have had severe side effects from hormonal medications
- Women with diminished ovarian reserve (DOR) who produce few and/or mostly immature eggs
Eden – The Future of Fertility
Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility is a patient-focused fertility clinic in Newport Beach and Fullerton, California. We offer our patients with myriad of treatment options including –IUI treatment, IVF treatment, third party reproduction, egg freezing, genetic testing, male infertility. Owing to our years of expertise, state of the art technology, competent team. Eden has become an unanimous choice for the patients.